[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13220 (md)

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Sun Nov 13 13:42:53 CET 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:20:10PM +0000, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Sunday 13 November 2005 11:53, Subversion daemon wrote:
> > r13220 | md | 2005-11-13 12:53:47 +0100 (Sun, 13 Nov 2005) | 2 lines
> > Changed paths:
> >    M /trunk/src/input/clock.c
> >
> > fixed comparision between incompatible values preventing detection of PCR
> gaps
> >

> Hi Marian,
>
> Could you explain this commit ?

Sure.

The original comparision was trying to directly compare microsecond units
with PCRs, which obviously can't be done.

Thus the limit for detecting PCR-gaps (on e.g. broken streams edited by dd)
was 22,2222 seconds instead of 2 seconds.

> I don't see how the detection of input clock gaps could be related to our
> internal clock.

Since the gap in PCRs was not detected, the code computing delta_cr was
thinking it's a clock drift between sender and receiver and trying to
"compensate" it upto 22 seconds. Now, the PCR gap > 2 seconds is properly
detected and a new reference point is recomputed.

> And even if it was, your calculation seems very odd to me since i_rate is
> actually fixed point with a denominator of DEFAULT_RATE.

I've taken the computation from ClockToSysdate() and took into account that
27000/300=90, so I'm doing exactly the same computation. If ClockToSysdate()
is doing things wrong, then we of course need to fix both computations.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----