[vlc-devel] [URGENT] VLC-0.8.4-release and broken s16 Directx aout

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Tue Nov 22 10:50:16 CET 2005

Hi all,

   VLC-0.8.4 branch is currently using the s16 audio format via Directx as
the default aout for Windows version of VLC. At least with current XP
systems with all recent updates and Directx 9.0c this does not work - see
ticket #427

   I'd like to kindly ask for urgent consideration of this problem. As I
understand the forum posts, the s16 format is needed only as a workaround
for some broken audio drivers - but some of the posters still report it
does not help, or it helps only when audio resampling is disabled as well.

   Unless someone is able to quickly fix the directx aout, I'd strongly
recommend to revert Directx aout back to use float32 by default - otherwise
we'd break things for all people with uptodate systems.

	Thanks & kind regards,

		M.