[vlc-devel] DVD transcode broken?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 27 17:36:15 CET 2005

Hi --
WinXP Home Edition, 27 November nightly build.
Trying to do a transcode, source is DVD, to a standard DIV3/mp3 ASF.
Working from the WXWin interface, I do a File -- Open Disc, select the
second DVD option, the one which should play the entire DVD from start to
finish.
If I just do a local play, it's fine -- VLC plays segment after segment, on
my PC, no problem.
(Actually, it looks like it's reading the DVD time/duration incorrectly, by
a factor of 2.  In other words, the main video portion of 90 minutes is
showing as 45 minutes.)

If I instead select Stream Output, I see VLC chunking through the different
DVD segments, but the output file only contains the very first one -- the
DVD splashscreen where it shows the initial DVD menu.  It's not properly
chaining the segments to the output file.  (I end up with a 15 second long
file, just that first piece of the DVD.)  At the user interface level, I can
see  VLC is continuing to chunk along through the other video segments (I
see the slider moving, new segment durations displaying, etc.), just not
actually doing the transcoding and writing to file.