[vlc-devel] Why theora as builtin?

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes at gentoo.org
Mon Nov 28 00:51:39 CET 2005

Hi all,
I'm trying to make sure that Gentoo's VLC uses plugins instead of builtins
whenever possible. To do so, I have to patch the configure a bit as we
sometimes install .so PIC libraries also when upstream does not ship
makefiles for them, and we don't name them in different ways (so we have
libdts.so instead of libdts_pic.so).
I was able today to get both libdts and ffmpeg as plugin instead of builtin,
but currently there are other libraries linked in the final vlc binary.
The main problem is with liveMedia, that I'm thinking of cleaning up tomorrow
to install in a decent way on Gentoo at least.
The other problem is with libtheora, that builds .so library by upstream but
it's handled only as builtin. Any special reason for this?

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE