[vlc-devel] Re: How to modify to hardware codec for MPEG4 and so on?

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Nov 30 08:16:33 CET 2005

Le mardi 29 novembre 2005 à 18:35 -0800, j y a écrit :
> Hi,
> I want to modify the codec for MPEG4 and several other formats to
> hardware codec, there will be some APIs provided by several libraries
> which are used as the interface between hardware and software.
> how to implement this? can you guide me?
> thank you and best regards.

Well, you should develop a codedc module to override the ffmpeg and
libmpeg2 ones. That shouldn't be too complicated if you hardware chip
provides a decent high level API. However, I'm not sure VLC's codec
modul API is that documented. I would suggest to have a look at other
codec modules, libmpeg2 for instance, as a example. Don't hesitate to
ask further questions.

--
BigBen