[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r12821 (zorglub)

Boris Dorès babal at via.ecp.fr
Tue Oct 11 23:23:50 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 07:16:14PM (GMT+0200), Subversion daemon wrote:
>  - advanced / non-advanced problems

  Sorry, but I strongly disagree with some of these choices.

  "spdif" and "force-dolby-surround" (main audio configuration panel)
are options that the average user might want to change without being
a guru searching through all advanced options. From my perspective,
it's strictly equivalent to adding a specific filter or choosing audio
channels (stereo/left/right/reversed) for instance, and these ones are
even directly accessible through the main interface or menus.

  And regarding "headphone-dim" (headphone filter configuration panel),
it's THE parameter that makes sense to the user (I added two others
recently which are only useful in some very specific situations and so
were much logically registered as advanced ones). Furthermore, it's the
only non-advanced option in this filter, I can hardly see how it would
confuse any user.

  I agree that we shouldn't bother the average user with guru
behind-the-scene parameters, but hiding basic and useful options from
them won't help either, forcing them to dig through advanced ones, if
they ever dare.

  I'm not too sure about "audio-track" and "sub-track" either, but I
grant you that these may be much more open to discussion.

  My 2 cents.

--
babal