[vlc-devel] Re: DV Hangs, Audio continues

Vaclav Koldus vaclav.koldus at avpark.cz
Wed Oct 19 23:21:03 CEST 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:27:54 +0200, Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr>
wrote:

> On windows you might try this :
>
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/avimux_gui.rar
>
> Otherwise, maybe ffmpeg with in copy stream mode can export to raw DV.
> See the command line options.
>
> Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>>
>>> They should indeed NOT be broken. Also "out of sync" is funny when it
>>> comes to DV, because the audio and video are in the same track for
>>> DV-Type 1. You may try avi2raw and keep only the DV stream. Raw DV
>>> should not have this desync problem due to AVI. Since AVI is kinda
>>> useless for DV anyway...
>>   Basically I have no hook ups now... but I can't play longer streams
>> than
>> 9 minutes because of the missing OpenDML support in avi2raw. Does
>> someone knows a better way to get from a 5GB AVI/OpenDML file a raw DV
>> stream?
>>   Stefan

Hi.
I met this problem about hanging DV avis too. Avi may seem useless for DV
but it's actualy widely used though. So we have to deal with it. Exporting
stream is possibility, but what when I don't want to process the material
again after editing? My experience shows that using another decoder then
ffmpeg actualy works. I didn't tried libdv since I stopped using it for
it's really slow encoding, but I implemented comercial decoder from Main
Concept, which I use for encoding instead of libdv, and I must say it
works perfectly. This isn't first problem I came on with ffmpeg. Now I
compile VLC without ffmpeg decoders at all just for shure. If you want VLC
to be stable and reliable I recommend you the same.

Stefan, please could you share us your conclusions? I'm curious about it
too.

Thanks,
Vaclav.

PS:
What comes to my mind is to write a fake decoder module for VLC which
dumps your stream into a file before it's decoded. VLC should demux it for
you, even with OpenDML support, and then send it into your decoder, which
dumps it on disk.