[vlc-devel] License Issues/Questions

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 18:28:24 CEST 2005

I would like to make a Non-GPL Qt interface (not Qt/E)
for VLC. Under the GPL, I do not think this is
possible? I would not mindmaking a subset if the GUI
and making that availible under the GPL, but I would
like it to extend to some proprietary functions, of
which I do not think the community would be interested
in.

I also see there is an ActiveX version for Windows.
While I would prefer that I could use VLC on all its
platforms, for now I could get away with using this.
However, does the GPL license extend outside of the
ActiveX server to the software using the ActiveX
interface as well? If I could to that, then could
there be other containers made for other platforms? I
would not mind if the containers themselves, are GPL,
but I don't want the software that talks to the
containers to be GPL. LGPL, BSD would work.