[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r12954 (md)

Gildas Bazin gbazin at videolan.org
Tue Oct 25 20:34:54 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 12:06, Marian Durkovic wrote:
> > > modifications for RTP reordering:
> > >  * for RTP, prebuffering is done within RTP access
> > >  * reordering now working within this buffer
> > >  * solves synchro problems since packet rate is preserved
> >  I think the i_seqno should be removed from block_t (block_t is a
generic
> > struct used everywhere).
> >  In the access it is perfectly valid to use i_dts or i_pts field for
> > yourself. (You can even use i_flags within the private part).
>
> I have defined it since there's nothing of uint16_t in block_t. There
might
> be several passes through the loops and I wanted to have the code as much
> optimised as possible. Is it that much offending?

The reasoning is just that block_t is used everywhere in the code (input,
decoders, stream output, etc...). So by adding this field you might have
optimised the rtp access plugin but you have basically "unoptimized"
everything else.
Ok, adding 1 field is not really a massive issue but still, I think we
should really keep block_t as simple and small as possible.

The rtp access code is also far from being cpu intensive, so you shouldn't
really worry about that kind of optimisations there. They just won't make
any difference.

--
Gildas