[vlc-devel] ASF Header Messed Up?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 12:59:05 CEST 2005

Hi --
I downloaded the nightly build last night, tried a transcode of a source
MPEG2/a52/mpeg ps file to ASF format, 3Mbps DIV3, 192K mps.
The output file is munged up.  It's reporting 26 hour+ duration.  This is
showing in VLC, WMP, and Nero -- any client trying to play it.
The actual underlying transcode is OK, clean audio/video, but the time inifo
is broken, which then makes it impossible to burn through Nero -- it gags,
since it uses the ASF-reported 26 hour duration.  (it Churns on the file,
decides that since it is claiming > 26 hours long it will take this massive
amount of space to recode)

(ASF had been pretty solid as of a couple of weeks ago -- an Oct 7 nightly
seemed fine.  I don't know where things have changed -- whether it's
something in the reading-the-mpeg2-file, or something in the
transcoding-and-writing-the-ASF-file.  I know there's been a contrib update,
and have seen a few posts which sound like they've twiddled certain header
codes)

Thanks.
Mark