[vlc-devel] Re: msvc v6 fixes for src/extras/libc.c

Brian Robb vascy at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 5 20:21:22 CEST 2005

 > msvc 6 fixes:
 >
 > At the top of include/vlc_common.h add:
 >
 > #ifndef VLC_COMMON_H
 > #define VLC_COMMON_H
 >
 > And at the bottom of include/vlc_common.h add:
 >
 > #endif // VLC_COMMON_H
 >
 > Do the same for msvc/config.h
 >
 > #ifndef CONFIG_H
 > #define CONFIG_H
 >
 > And:
 >
 > #endif // CONFIG_H
 >
 > Then to src/extras/libc.c add (at around line 32):
 >
 > #include <vlc_common.h>
 >
 > It'll then compile in msvc v6 :)

I don't understand this one.
vlc_common.h is automatically included by vlc/vlc.h as long as __VLC__ is
defined... and __VLC__ is defined in msvc/libvlc.dsp.

src/extras/libc.c uses types like int64_t, which msvc doesn't have.
vlc_common.h defines these typedefs, so including it fixes the build when
compiling src/extras/libc.c

Adding the:
#ifndef VLC_COMMON_H
#define VLC_COMMON_H
#endif // VLC_COMMON_H

Around the file stops msvc from trying to compile it twice.
Perhaps I could just define __VLC__ before compiling src/extras/libc.c
but adding the include seems more natural to me.

There isn't any harm in adding the ifndef's around the header files
though... :)