[vlc-devel] Re: vlc --help is useless on windows

Brian Robb vascy at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 5 20:43:11 CEST 2005

>Actually "vlc --help" does work nicely on win32 but only if you use the
>cygwin shell (rxvt).

>Your patch is also overcomplicated since you could just do:
>freopen( "vlc-help.txt", "w", stdout );

>Anyway, I'll try to apply something like that.

freopen( "vlc-help.txt", "w", stdout ); would redirect all print statements
regardless
of whether they're intended for the help or not.

Having a FILE* to a new stream ensures you know that only the help info will
be printed,
and not random debug info that happens to be in some of the code.

(Flimsy reasoning maybe, but valid and it should make the code
more obvious that you're printing to a file at first glance...)