[vlc-devel] [Dermot McGahon <dermot at lincor.com>] Patch to move video_output window (linux only at the moment) on-the-fly
admin at via.ecp.fr
Fri Sep 30 16:20:30 CEST 2005
The deleted attachment is at:
----- Forwarded message from Dermot McGahon <dermot at lincor.com> -----
From: Dermot McGahon <dermot at lincor.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:26:26 +0100
Subject: Patch to move video_output window (linux only at the moment) on-the-fly
Find attached all current non-trickplay changes I have against VLC.
The functionality is to be able to move a video_output window from
location to location. This should be possible before it is playing,
on-the-fly, and in the background while currently fullscreen. Similar
requirement for the fullscreen command. It should be possible to
apply it even in advance of playing the item.
There are two other small changes that are more than likely only
application to our application and environment. I am including them
for completeness and so that you can make up your own mind about
I will describe each hunk briefly,
- create vout-x/vout-y variable on the intf (Q: is this necessary for
each new RC command?)
- set fullscreen var on the playlist, allows fullscreen command to work
even when nothing is currently being played.
- msg_rc text describing the new command could do with improvement.
- can two values be passed in one command? i.e rc> vout_win_move 100 50,
this is related to the question about the p_intf variables above.
- if not, use a static to store the X val and act when Y val is received
- set video-x/video-y on the playlist, this allows to set the values
before playing the item, or when one item is stopped before starting
the next; instead of on-the-fly video_output window placement it means
apply these changes to any later video_output windows.
- next hunk sets video-x/video-y on the vout, this is to deal with the
situation that we are in fullscreen currently so the XMoveWindow is
not going to apply to the fullscreen window. This stores the values
so that they can be applied to the original_window when we eventually
leave fullscreen; again not on-the-fly, instead it's apply these
changes to the windowed window (we use this with the earlier no-deco
patch) when fullscreen is exited.
- this hunk also calls a new vout_Control VOUT_MOVE_WINDOW which does
the actual on-the-fly movement. The previous two parts were to deal
with special cases (no currrent window and currently in fullscreen).
Hopefully, somebody can implement this control in the windows and
mac video_output modules.
- Call XRaiseWindow every 20 frames to deal with Metacity craziness.
You will very likely not want or need this hunk. I'm not even sure
that even XRaiseWindow entirely works anyway.
- Next is a change to double-click behaviour. Probably not one you
will want either. We use touchscreens and our customer want to be
able to single-click to turn small preview windows into fullscreen
playback. They don't want single-click to return from fullscreen to
windowed (we use no-deco patch again for this and display a small
"window" over a HTML interface).
- The XMoveWindow after the XMapWindow is to deal with the stored X
and Y co-ordinates - to process them when we are exiting from
- Control() case: VOUT_MOVE_WINDOW, the warn could be removed or
changed to a dbg. I will recheck if x/y need to be set on both
p_win and original_window, that may have been an earlier attempt
at storing values while in fullscreen. I wasn't sure in the mutex
was required around XMoveWindow so decided to err on the side of
- addition of new VOUT_MOVE_WINDOW vout_control
Comments expected and welcomed.
----- End forwarded message -----
System administration <admin at via.ecp.fr>
VIA, Ecole Centrale Paris, France
This is the vlc-devel mailing-list, see http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
To unsubscribe, please read http://developers.videolan.org/lists.html
More information about the vlc-devel