[vlc-devel] VLC keyboard events [OS X]

Basil Achermann vlc at acherma.com
Mon Apr 3 14:55:22 CEST 2006

Hi everybody,

In the OS X version of VLC, you can pause/unpause a movie by pressing
the space bar. Also, when in full screen mode, hitting the escape key
switches to windowed mode. However, this only works as long as the
vout view can catch and respond to keydown events which means it has
to be the active window. IMO, this is one of the more annoying UI
bugs since the controller window is quite often the active window,
sometimes even in full screen mode.

I noticed that VLCControllerWindow already delegates keystrokes to
VLCMain in order to be passed to vlc. However, the events in question
should be handled by the Cocoa client. So, I added a key event
handler to VLCControls which works beautifully. Patch against HEAD
(r15083) is attached.

Regards,
Basil