[vlc-devel] Re: win95/98/me problems with utf8 wrappers

Daniel Stränger vlc at schmaller.de
Thu Apr 6 01:18:04 CEST 2006

On 04.04.2006 19:10, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Mardi 4 Avril 2006 16:57, Daniel Stränger a écrit :
> I've seen several user ask for non-ACM filename support, and there's
> simply no other way to do it. And I'd rather add cool features for

I think it's not a question of either/or .
If an application has such a great modularity like VLC,
it's easy to implement cool new features *and* keep binary compatiblity with old-fashioned OSes.

> users with up-to-date systems, than support OS for which they aren't
> even security updates anymore.

A standalone computer and even a client in a DMZ don't need
so many security updates. "Never touch a running system" :-)

I prefer Antoines fallback solution which I have coded a patch for.
I'm afraid i don't know neither if it works nor if it compiles,
because i'm missing a windows build environment.

Greetings,
Daniel