[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r15117 (massiot)

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Thu Apr 6 19:25:24 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006, Subversion daemon wrote:
> r15117 | massiot | 2006-04-06 19:12:32 +0200 (Thu, 06 Apr 2006) | 4 lines
> Changed paths:
>    M /trunk/include/vlc_url.h
>
>  * include/vlc_url.h: Fixed vlc_UrlEncode to return correct values and avoid
>    crashing with strings as simple as "/toto", but all in all the entire
>    function seems very wrong to me, see the next mail.

I don't understand the rationale behind [14938]. It introduces a
conversion to UCS-2 and a special encoding for non-ISO-8859-1
characters, but I can't find any specification about that (and the code
doesn't reference any standard).

RFC3986 explicitly states that unicode characters should be encoded as
separate 8-bit characters, for instance LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH
GRAVE would be represented as "%C3%80", not %uSOMETHING. The drawback of
our current code are 1/ it is non-standard and 2/ it doesn't allow for
the representation of non-BMP characters. Our previous code was
compliant with RFC3986 and doesn't have such limitation.

So unless we are told where this convention comes from (as should have
been done in the first place), I vote for reverting [14938] and
subsequent changesets as soon as possible.

--
Christophe Massiot.