[vlc-devel] Re: Drawing the VLC video

lastrainson lastrainson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:52:47 CEST 2006

Hey again !

After digging into the vlc mozilla plugin code, I managed to get a mini C
libvlc player that uses alsa + xv for rendering. I didn't manage to learn
how to render inside a widget or anything else than a standalone vout_plugin
window though.
When looking inside the NPP_SetWindow function inside vlcshell.cpp, it seems
that vlc is told to render inside the browser using these two lines :

    value.i_int = (int) (ptrdiff_t) (void *) window->window;
    VLC_VariableSet( p_plugin->i_vlc, "drawable", value );

The fact is that I don't really understand what is actually passed to
libVLC. the window variable is a NPWindow* and window->window is a
platform-dependant value that corresponds to the window ID under X11, HWND
under win32 and NP_PORT under OSX. Does that mean that to render inside a
widget, i have to find this window unique ID so that libvlc renders directly
into the application window? If true, what are the variables I should set
using VLC_VariableSet under each platform to actually get the rendering
working?

Thanks again.