[vlc-devel] Re: S/PDIF & nforce issue

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Tue Aug 22 17:42:20 CEST 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 08:37:58AM +0200, Sigmund Augdal Helberg wrote:
> > VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
> > [00000311] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:448000
> > [00000314] alsa audio output error: internal: can't find audio-device (10)
> > [00000314] oss audio output error: cannot reset OSS audio device
> >
> > I set hw:0,1 to be the device in the VLC config screen (card 0: NVidia
> > [HDA NVidia], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital])
> spdif is working just fine for me with nforce audio and alsa. I do
> however set --alsadev to something else than hw:0,1. Using the wxwidgets
> gui you can go to preferences/audio output/alsa. There should be a
> "refresh" button next to the alsadev option and pressing this should
> populate the dropdown list with devices. make sure to select the one
> with 'IEC958' in the string. Also be aware that your vlc version is

Interestingly, I am able to set the device in MythTV to be
ALSA:iec958, and digial audio works perfectly!  However, VLC doesn't
allow me to choose that option... it is limited to what it can auto
detect, which is only hw0,0 and hw0,1.  I tried using the alsadev
command line, but that didn't work either.

Thanks,
Mark