[vlc-devel] Re: SUSE mantainer

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Fri Aug 25 10:54:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006, Marco Zanchi wrote :
> hi guys,
> i'm a new user of Suse Linus Enterprise Desktop 10 and i'm frustrated
> about DVD player in this distro.
>
> In Windows i use VLC Player and i'm very happy about quality, speed and
> easy to use.
>
> i read that you are looking for a mantainer for SUSE package....
>
> i'm availabe to try if i can do it.
>
> You  can start to tell me what i should to do and i can try to do it....
>
> i hope to help you....

Thanks a lot for your comment and for the offer. Because of its many
dependencies, VLC is unfortunatelly no easy software to package (hence
the lack of good SUSE packages). The first step I could advise you to
take would be to read a good documentation on RPM packaging, if you
haven't yet. Then you'll need to write spec file for VLC and perhaps
fome some of its dependencies too. Redhat/Mandriva/existing SUSE
packages can be taken as an help...

Good luck,

--
BigBen