[vlc-devel] Re: [bmpx] Re: Proposal for a common D-Bus interface for media players

Milosz Derezynski internalerror at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 05:57:12 CET 2006

Sham:
Yeah it would basically mean that one player can run at a time, but going
with what Diego said earlier, i'd concur that it could be very well
something that is not directly at the core of the application, and it can be
started without exposing itself through DBus. BMPx can do this in fact if
you start it with the -bin binary and pass --no-remote to it.

(For those unfamiliar with what i mean with -bin binary: BMPx implements a
single-application-instance/application-as-service [1] mechanism using DBus
activation. There is a 'remote' binary which is for all intents and purposes
for the user just like the main application binary, and a "-bin" binary
(similar to firefox-bin for firefox/comparable) in libexec)

Furthermore, and i'm aware i might be digging up probably unpleasant stuff i
see the problem with XMMS2+DBus the one that there is no "real" reason for
XMMS2 to not switch to DBus (yeah i know about tru's technical explanations
and the don't-broadcast and no TCP/IP transport stuff but that will appear,
well anyway back to the main sentence), so, basically, once XMMS2 implements
a DBus interface using this common spec, there would be no _real_ reason to
not to switch to DBus entirely for server<->client messaging (XMMS2 to
clients for those not in the know).

So either this will happen (you switch entirely), or you guys will just not
switch to DBus at all; everything else is just unfeasible if not at the very
least from a maintenance point of view, and it would be obviously also
hilarious because of other reasons to implement 2 very similar systems of
which either could replace the other (except that without DBus, there will
be hardly a common interface implemented.)

I just want to point this out right now and bring it to the surface, before
we all start a chanty dance around an empty pot.

Everyone:

As for the table, it's something Sham has done some good while ago and it's
a good starting point to see how common the current interfaces are.

Sham (again):

Can you wiki-fy the table and make it editable (perhaps only on request and
only for people you approve for, well, namely the media player developers or
the players listed there at the least, so we can quickly amend it, etc.. ?

Regards,
Milosz

[1] http://live.gnome.org/DesktopAppsAsDBusServices (NOTE: We actually
deployed this mechanism 1 year before Alex proposed it in his form, so our
implementation differs in details, but is essentially the same; it doesn't
go -as- far as putting stuff into .desktop files that could be regarded as
bogus until really accepted as a spec/way to do things)