[vlc-devel] Re: [bmpx] Re: Proposal for a common D-Bus interface for media players

Daniel Chokola dan at chokola.com
Wed Dec 6 06:25:01 CET 2006

Milosz Derezynski wrote:
> Allright as i've read on the transcript, you're going to implement the
> DBus interace as a "client" anyway.
>

> So for one: nevermind the part about "DBus or nothing", but then again
> what is your concern with running one player, and debugging XMMS2 the
> same time?
> Milosz

That was just an example. but the concern is that someone might want to
have a couple clients running at once to different players. For example,
I already use a couple clients to constantly talk to my stereo PC. While
in the meantime I run the latest XMMS2 from git to test new features and
hack away.

It doesn't have to be on different machines, either. If two clients are
running on the same machine and both running the same DBus service, will
it be possible to control them individually?

On an unrelated note, I think it might be a good idea to include some
basic capabilities negotiation. Maybe check that a program can support
playback, playlists, medialib, and metadata. That way simpler media
players like VLC can omit things like the medialib. I think this could
save a lot of bickering over implementation and watering down of the spec.

-Dan "puzzles" Chokola