[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r18300 (courmisch)

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 00:55:06 CET 2006

Excellent description, thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: vlc-devel-bounce at videolan.org [mailto:vlc-devel-bounce at videolan.org]
On Behalf Of Rémi Denis-Courmont
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 5:44 PM
To: vlc-devel at videolan.org
Subject: [vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r18300 (courmisch)

Le mercredi 6 décembre 2006 23:33, Mark Moriarty a écrit :
> What happens if gnutls is removed, then, for those of us who must be
> concerned with encryption laws?
> What parts of VLC break?

I suppose Win32 and Mac OS X builds link libgcrypt statically.
Currently, we only use it (indirectly) in the GnuTLS plugin. That's in use
for HTTP/SSL and HTTP/TLS support. These are optionaly supported by the HTTP
interface, HTTP stream output and HTTP access.

Removing the GnuTLS plugin (libgnutls_plugin.*) removes the sensitive code,
while retaining non-SSL HTTP. You can simply not compile libgcrypt (nor
libgnutls, and use ./configure --disable-gnutls). That is not the only
decryption stuff in VLC though; DVD CSS is probably a lot more sensitive, as
it involves decryption/cracking, while GnuTLS makes "normal" use of ciphers.