[vlc-devel] Re: Compiling with visual studio 2005

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Thu Dec 21 16:18:10 CET 2006

Quoting Mortisandraco <scrawler at linuxwaves.com>:

>>> Currently I'm at the download limit of my provider so I
>>> can't download cygwin to check with gcc (--pedantic IIRC).
>
> [nan at xxx test]$ cat ary.c
> int main()
> {
>         int size;
>         int array[size];
>         return 0;
>
> }
>
> [nan at xxx test]$ gcc  -pedantic ary.c
> ary.c: In function `main':
> ary.c:4: warning: ISO C89 forbids variable-size array `array'
>
> Maybe I can mail you libvlc (or a diff or whatever) to see what I
> changed and if it's acceptable.

The problem arises as gcc is 'trying' to guess what ISO C standard it
should try. My installation for example tested against ISO C90, yours
apparently against ISO C89.

When compiling with
gcc -std=c99 ary.c
this example works perfecfly and it's using the ISO C99 stanard for
it. Also reasonable I think, to use that one in 2006/2007

Regards,
Dominique