[vlc-devel] Re: Press Request: Feature on "20 programs you'll still need with Windows Vista"

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Dec 28 18:33:13 CET 2006

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006, Peter Mühlbauer wrote :
>  Therefore, we'd like to ask a few
>  questions about your software and the plans you have with it:
>
>  -does it run on Windows Vista
>  -(when) will it run on Windows Vista?

VLC media player, version 0.8.6 does work on Vista. However, depending
on the graphic drivers, you need to change the Default Video output
module to keep Aero up. (More information in the forum of videolan).

We are waiting a bit for the stabilisation of the main graphic drivers
to know what exactly to do. Next version of VLC should have some
improvement for Vista.

>  -do you consider your software useful for Windows Vista users?
>  -what does your software (better) that the new Windows Vista features
>  won't do?
As long as VLC media player is shipped with a lot of codecs, it is still
very interesting, as you don't need to download those codecs. Moreover,
the streaming/transcoding features are still features you don't have
with all versions of Vista.

Thanks for your interest in VLC media player,

Best Regards,

--
JB Kempf