[vlc-devel] Re: vlc and jaws

Sigmund Augdal Helberg dnumgis at videolan.org
Fri Feb 3 09:49:11 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 01:23 +0100, Jean Philippe wrote:
> High dude,
> even though I'm French as most of the VLC team, I thought you would be
> the most appropriate man for my message as you're the dude responsible
> for the hot keys on this application.
Responsible is a big word. I did the ground work, but others have
changed many things since then.
> Jaws, as you may already know, is a software that allows blind users
> to make their way into the computer world.
I am unfortunatly not familiar with this software.

> Yesterday I installed and tried VLC and I had problems when trying to
> figure out what the short keys were.  When navigating in the hot key
> preference field, using the tab key to scrawl between the options, I
> had difficulties finding out what key was assigned to what function.
This issue has been reported before, and it is on our todo list. I have
not looked into this myself, so I do not know the details on the
previous reports, but if they were like this then more concrete feedback
on what the problem is and any suggestion on how it should behave would
be valuable.
>  Furthermore, and I'm not sure this has something to do with jaws,
> when I tried the minus key just to see what slow playback meant, the
> music stopped and I couldn't find another way to restart it than
> actually restarting VLC.
This is just how vlc works. When slow motion or fast forward is
selected, audio is muted. This makes sense for most files that do have
video when watched by users that are not blind. If this happens for
audio-only files as well, then it is a stupid bug in vlc and should be
fixed. In any case putting playback into normal speed (by pressing +
once) should give the audio back.

I've cced the mailing list, as it is likely you could get further
feedback from there.

Regards

Sigmund