[vlc-devel] Re: How to write add a new plugin?

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at nxtelevision.com
Sun Feb 5 23:41:07 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 06 at 11:32 -0800, Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:

> Are we implying that VideoLAN does not dynamically read the modules
> directory? That it has to be compiled alongwith VLC...that would be really
> bad architecture!!
No, VLC finds its plugins when you start it.

> I really do not want to re-compile VLC itself...I believe I should be able to
> just compile the module against the headers from VLC...

That should be possible with the headers and vlc-config matching the vlc
you have installed.
Also very few people build extra module outside the tree so we don't
have SDK package (except maybe on Debian) maybe we should.

Mark was describing the modification necessary to have your module
inside the tree and build when you build the whole VLC.

--
Xtophe