[vlc-devel] Re: xv problems with new via cle266 chipset revision

Greg Farrell greg at gregfarrell.org
Wed Feb 8 13:31:01 CET 2006

Further to the mail below:

1) If I force the xvideo-chroma to YUY2 instead of the movie's correct
YV12 a chroma transform has to take place. After this the movie actually
displays correctly although it's un-usuably jerky as too much cpu is
used up by the transform.

Whereas if I leave it as the YV12 (which as I understand it means no
chroma transform is done?) then the output from xv is still mangled.

mplayer and xine play this movie using YV12 correctly. Does this
transform fixing display point to any particular issue?

2) Also weirder still, if I transcode the mpegs from their 720x576 to
640x480, 700x560, 800x640 it will display correctly! However if I then
transcode that mpeg back to 720x576 it once again displays garbled. Is
there something special about this resolution?

All of these resolutions are 1.25:1 ratios, yet only the 720x576 does
not display correctly.

This is confusing the hell out of me, can anybody shed some light on it
please,

    Greg