[vlc-devel] additional playlist functionality, 2nd try :-)

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Sat Jan 7 04:45:39 CET 2006

Hello, all ...

I'm looking into the playlist handling of VLC, the idea being to add
some additional functionality e.g. delete an item from a playlist,
specify the insertion point of a new playlist item, possibly even the
ability to define multiple playlists and switch between them
dynamically and implement the idea of a "null" or "placeholder"
playlist item (which VLC would not play until some later action
replaced the "null" value with something real, etc).  I see that some
of this functionality is already implemented (in
src/playlist/item-ext.c, src/playlist/item.c, and a few other places),
though it's not exposed via the rc interface.  So, me thinks this
should be fairly easy to do.

My questions -- since this does seem pretty easy, i'm wondering why
it's not there already e.g. is there some reason why, perhaps, the
"playlist" command from the rc interface doesn't list the ID of the
playlist items, allowing a user to specify said ID as an argument to an
rc "delete" command?  Some hidden dragon in the code waiting to devour
me?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com