[vlc-devel] Re: AW: Re: BUG modules/demux/ts.c DEMUX_GET_LENGTH

Greg Farrell greg at gregfarrell.org
Wed Jan 11 10:07:15 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 23:18 +0100, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> This is legal within TS. TS is a very complicated stream format that
> is not designed for filestorage. It's for streaming. Calculating a
> reliable duration is impossible without processing the entire file,
> beforehand.

The problem I'm having is with streaming though. The VLM is streaming
the file to a vlc client and because it is not able to calculate the
movies length it cannot tell the client the vod movies length.

What you say about TS makes sense, but do you have any suggestions on
how VLM ought to handle this? Should it be creating meta-data files
about video files before-hand to handle this sort of problem?

I've been working with Kasenna servers and I'd like to support VLM
servers as an alternate vod server. Not being able to tell the client
the length of a film if it's in TS format means problems like the client
not being able to give feedback on the current position in the film.

I think this has to be seen as a bug in either VLM or the ts.c demuxer.
The server ought to be able to tell clients the lengths of films it's
serving them.

   thanks everybody for the informative replies, I feel I understand a
bit more about vlc and ts from this :)

    Greg