[vlc-devel] Re: patch for rewind and fast-forward vlc-amino streaming

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Jul 12 20:55:30 CEST 2006

K. Staring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attatched is a patch against vlc-0.8.5 to enable rewind and fast-
> forward when using an Amino STB and streaming vod with vlc. The patch
> isn't exactly a work of art, but at least it works (up to a point).
>
> When fast-forward or rewind is pressed on the amino remote, the amino
> first pauses the stream, then issues an RTSP PLAY command with a  Scale:
> header. The amino expects to receive a stream of "fast- forwarded" or
> "rewinded" data while disabling audio playback. Then,  when the user
> presses play on the remote, another PAUSE and PLAY is  issued with a
> Scale: value of 1.0 .
>
> The way fast-forward and rewind is implemented in this patch is as
> follows:
>
> vlc receives a PLAY request with a Scale: header other than 1.0,
> determines if the value is less or bigger than 0, displaces the  playing
> position in the stream by 30 seconds and restarts the stream.  The
> downside is that the amino box plays the stream but still has  audio
> disabled. The user has to press 'play' on the remote to hear  audio again.
> In other words, far from perfect, but at least it works.. I couldn't
> find a better way to implement this, unfortunately.
>
> Note: this patch includes the patch for vlc-amino made by Rob Casey.
Please do not do that again. Provide a clean patch preferably against
vlc-trunk next time. If you do need the patch of Rob Casey, then provide
a patch against the VLC version with that patch applied and mention that
as a dependency in your e-mail.

Your patch is applied without the Rob Casey part and the rest is largely
rewritten by me. Thanks for contributing.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.