[vlc-devel] Re: RTP and RTSP suport

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Jul 17 21:23:18 CEST 2006

Toomy wrote:
> Hi all
> U request the support of RTP, RTSP streaming and that it should be added to
> VLC. Now I have found http://www.live555.com/mplayer/ project. I know, the
> link looks like that it is for mplayer, but on the same page, it describes
> that it works wor VLC Player as well. They even prefere VLC player. My
> question now is: Do we choose this implementation of the VLC so that we do
> not have to write all that code again? Or is it intended to develop that code
> from scratch?
>
> Thanks Markus

VLC already uses the live555 libraries for RTP and RTCP support on the
client side. Unfortunately that library is not compatible with our
stream output architecture and general architecture of VLC.

For stream output we choose to implement our own RTP implementation. Now
we want to complete that implementation with supporting RTCP.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.