[vlc-devel] Re: Subversion Account?

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Thu Jul 20 09:45:45 CEST 2006

Patrick Q. Ritter wrote:
> Hello VLC People,
>
> The page http://developers.videolan.org/svn.html mentions something
> about an "SVN account" for people who "had a CVS account before".  I
> have neither, and the command "svn co svn://svn.videolan.org/vlc/trunk
> vlc-trunk" given on that page does not work for me, either under Windows
> XP Professional cmd.exe or the Cygwin environment installed on the same
> machine:
This must be a problem with your network setup or the network between
you and the VideoLAN SVN server. We allow readonly access to everyone,
so you should be able to do a SVN checkout.

> Can't connect to host 'svn.videolan.org': A connection attempt failed
> because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of
> time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed
> to respond.
This is a network problem.

> Do I need to establish such an account?
No, for svn co you don't need an subversion account at all.

> I'm just looking for the possibility of a cleaner and more organized,
> complete, buildable version of VLC.  I have v. 0.8.5 downloaded, along
> with the "contributions" libraries, and 3 other libraries that
> "configure" asked for that are NOT in the contributions and that I found
> on my own and did successful "makes" on ("libmad"; "id3tag";
> "libmpeg2").  I did "--disable-ffmpeg", "--disable-wxwidgets" and
> "--disable-skins2" with "configure" just to resolve complaints it made.
* libmad is provided by madplay-0.15.1b.tar.gz and libmad-0.15.1b.tar.gz
* libid3tag is provided by libid3tag-0.15.1b.tar.gz
* libmpeg2 is provided by mpeg2dec-20050802.tar.gz
All present on http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.5/contrib/

All the other dependencies (ffmpeg, wxWidgets) are also on the same page.

> Might this mess up compilation or other requirements?  From my searching
> about, the project identified as "ffmpeg" seems to be dormant and
> unavailable everywhere.  "make" fails during compilation prior to use of
> "module_handle_t" in one of the headers, an error that appears in
> several developer posts on your Forum WITHOUT any pertinent answers.
> I'm new to the Cygwin / GCC environment, and looking at everything I can
> find about configuring, including and excluding things to make the build
> happen.  I've seen some examples of "./configure" in the instructional
> notes and user posts containing long lists of "--disable", "--enable",
> "--with", and other parameters, with no clear explanation as to how to
> choose among them.
Building VLC in Cygwin frequently gives problems, because cygwin build
environment is not entirely stable. If possible it would be better to
build on a *real* Unix/Linux distribution.

> Is it all really supposed to be so difficult?  Should I post the above
> on the Forum myself?

All 3rd party libraries VLC depends on can be found for every release
the VideoLAN team makes. Here is the link for vlc-0.8.5:
http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.5/contrib/

If you want to build this in an easier way, then you could try to use
the contrib system of VLC. This builds all the dependencies on itself.
One warning though I _never_ have heard of someone using contrib under
Cygwin. I advise to use it under Linux.

I hope these explanations help to get you on the right track.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.