[vlc-devel] Bootstrap/configure problems on Cygwin

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 15 13:21:58 CEST 2006

I've got a fresh installation of Cygwin, latest trunk (as of yesterday).
I'm Following install.win32.
Doing the bootstrap/configure sequence on the main trunk, I continue to see
the gettext problem that I reported several months ago.  The intl directory
is not getting properly created and populated at the trunk level.
I end up literally watching the darn configure, and after it purges the old
intl directory I manually copy the intl directory that does exist at
extras/contrib/share/gettext.
Just to be sure, the following two directories really do exist in my trunk:
C:\cygwin\home\mfm\vlc-trunk\extras\contrib\share\gettext\archive\intl
C:\cygwin\home\mfm\vlc-trunk\extras\contrib\share\gettext\intl

Anyhow, the above is a terribly hacky way to do things -- the current
autopoint, created when I build extras\contrib on a current, new, Cygwin,
just isn't working.

I'm still hosed, however.  Unfortunately, the current set of extras\contrib,
on current Cygwin, seems to also burp relative to libiconv.  Given that I've
done the intl copy bit manually, I'm running into:
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... included intl directory
configure: error: libiconv is needed for VLC to work properly
make: *** [config.status] Error 1

When I check:
C:\cygwin\home\mfm\vlc-trunk\extras\contrib\lib

I am seeing libiconv.a and libiconv.la

Also, I checked:
C:\cygwin\lib

And there I am seeing:libiconv.dll.a, libiconv.a, and libiconv.la.

Thoughts on what to do?  Any kind of path statement that I can put in to
tell it where to look for libiconv.a?

Thanks.

Mark