[vlc-devel] AAC audio patent questions

Rippit the Ogg Frog rippit at oggfrog.com
Mon Jun 26 09:05:23 CEST 2006

Hi, I just subscribed.

I'm developing a Free Software application, Ogg Frog at
http://www.oggfrog.com/ in which I would like to include support for
playing and encoding AAC (mp4 or m4a) audio.  But the format has many
patents, and I'm not able to find any mention of patent licenses for
free players or decoders.

Yet VLC both plays and creates AAC files.  Is this because there are no
software patents in France, because you have a license, or because there
is an exception for Open Source software?

In my research I found that the creator of FAAC was forced to take his
binaries offline because Dolby complained he was infringing his patent.

I live in Canada.  Canada has software patents, but not to the extent
the US does.  The official policy seems to be on this page:

Manual of Patent Office Practice
Chapter 16: Computer Implemented Inventions
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/patents/mopop/chap16-e.html

The MPEG-4 Licensing FAQ says in one place that fees are due upon the
"sale" of encoders or decoders, but in another place it says fees are
due when they are "provided":

http://www.vialicensing.com/products/mpeg4aac/licenseFAQ.html

I looked at the fee schedule for AAC audio and I didn't see any
exception for free or open source software.

Does it make a difference whether I provide just a player, or both a
player and an encoder?  I understand one must get a license to encode
MP3s, for example, but not to play them.

I'm planning my first test release for a week or two from now.  I'd like
to support AAC, but I don't want to get sued!  Please advise.

Mike Crawford
rippit at oggfrog.com
http://www.oggfrog.com/