[vlc-devel] Re: SVG vs Freetype renderer.

Olivier Aubert oaubert at lisi.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Mar 1 20:12:54 CET 2006

Hello

> Apparently the SVG text renderer has a higher module score then
> freetype.
> The problem here is that the SVG text renderer isn't really actively
> used as far as i know by anyone but Olivier.
... but me and other users of the Advene project. I agree that our user
base is not very large, but other people are using it.

> However Gentoo or other
> linux distro's will simply compile with the SVG renderer and use that
> instead of freetype.
Nice, I did not knew that. Maybe one of these days, I will not have to
build and distribute svg (and the python binding) myself.

> How are we gonna solve this issue with the text renderers ?
> There is no preference option to select one over the other, and in my
> opinion atm the freetype module definitely should be used over the
> SVG one.
I completely agree. The reason why I chose this approach was that, as I
was the only one compiling with --enable-svg, I thought it would not
matter for standard vlc distributions. The proper approach is of course
to have freetype as default and have an option to select another one.

In a mail from 2005 Apr 04, Sigmund said that he had some ideas about a
framework to integrate various renderers, but I did not see anything
more since.

Olivier