[vlc-devel] Gettext and Cygwin and VLC

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 8 02:44:51 CET 2006

Hi --
My overall environment is WinXP, Cygwin, gcc 3.4.4, automake 1.9.6, autoconf
2.59, GNU make 3.80

I've finally got a clean build of extras/contrib, stripped out all of the
compiler path-related flags, the --with-blah = usr/win32 stuff. From the
bootstrap and configure.

Unfortunately, under Cygwin the Cygwin environment insists on looking for
its own version of gettext packages.  If you've done a recent Cygwin
installation it forces to
 gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.14.5
For whatever reason, the above version of gettext just plain doesn't work
with the VLC build process.  It's a real bear to get Cygwin to install the
earlier 0.14.1 version, which does build with VLC.
(The error that occurs if you allow Cygwin to use its 14.5 version of
gettext is that it doesn't create the intl directory under the trunk -- I
have no clue why.  I get:
 configure.ac:5344: required file `intl/Makefile.in' not found
And then
 make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1)

Anyhow, the VLC extras/contrib does include building gettext.  When I
checked I see that what it is building is supposed to indeed be 14.5
(./gettext.exe --version)
Either:
1) gettext 14.5 just plain doesn't play nice, at least on Cygwin, whether
using the Cygwin-distributed 14.5 or VLC's locally built version
or
2) VLC has some kind of patch to gettext, so that it will then generate the
intl directory under the trunk, in which case perhaps there needs to be a
--with-gettext-path flag to force Cygwin to use the extras/contrib version
of gettext

(not allowing users to have gettext in their cygwin environment overall is
an invalid choice -- it is, after all, used for many things, not just VLC)

I don't have an answer on this -- I'm going to try to reinstall Cygwin's
gettext version 0.14.1, see if things will work.