[vlc-devel] Non-western character encoding

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Mar 12 10:19:21 CET 2006

Le Samedi 11 Mars 2006 20:35, Subversion daemon a écrit :
> r14724 | courmisch | 2006-03-11 20:35:22 +0100 (Sat, 11 Mar 2006) | 3
> lines Changed paths:
>    M /trunk/modules/codec/subsdec.c
>
>  * Use run-time detection of UTF-8 as current charset instead of
> hard-coding to be if and only if Mac OS X

Character encoding autoselection is way too simplistic on Unix variants;
it simply assumes it is the same as that of the C library.

For one thing, we should use CP1252 instead of Latin-1, and probably
even Latin-9. Nobody uses Latin-9 in the real^H^H^H^Hdominant^WWindows
world.

We should probably do the same kind of mapping toward the other CP125x
variants depending on the ISO-8859-x that is locally used. However I
personnaly know no non-Western languages.

Worst yet, we select EUC variants for Asian countries, while it is
hardly used at all outside the Unix world. Unfortunately, I don't
really what we should use there though: the local ISO-2022 variant, the
local Windows codepage, or who-knows-whatever.

Help needed.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/