[vlc-devel] Re: vlc on amd64 -- problems with mencoder's h264 and flash movie files

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sun Mar 12 23:58:56 CET 2006

Le samedi 11 mars 2006 à 23:13 -0800, David Liontooth a écrit :
> I've been running VLC on amd64 for a while with excellent results, and
> I've come across two problems that occur on this platform but not on i386.
>
> First, h264 files produced with mencoder don't display properly -- the
> picture is full of blocks to the point of looking milky (I can send pics
> or make samples available).
>
> Second, flv (flash movie) files produced with mencoder don't even open
> (debug below).

VLC doesn't have any native support for flv AFAIK. We have a ffmpeg
demuxer that could take care of it, but we certainly wouldn't be able
to decode the video data inside anyway (unless it uses the old vp3 or
any other open codec. Can you check if vlc -l outputs a line looking like

ffmpeg                ffmpeg demuxer

About your h264 on amd64 issue, it is probable debian and the nightlies
are compiled against a version of ffmpeg that has issues with playback
of h264 on amd64. Without any debug message, I cannot tell more (and I
don't think any of the developpers has the hardware to test it).

Could you send some more debug info ? The best would be to test with a
self compiled version of VLC and different versions of ffmpeg.
Compiling VLC on debian is pretty easy, but still requires to install
lots of dependancies.

--
BigBen