[vlc-devel] Re: Non-western character encoding

"Алексеев Валентин А." v.alekseev at mail.ru
Mon Mar 13 13:45:48 CET 2006

Måns Rullgård пишет:
> "Алексеев Валентин А." <v.alekseev at mail.ru> writes:
>

>> Måns Rullgård writes:
>>
>>> KOI-8 is commonly used for Russian. It might be what Windows uses,
>>> though I'm not sure.
>>>
>> Russian version of Windows uses CP1251 encoding. Most Linuxes and
>> BSD flavours use KOI8-R, sometimes UTF-8. Default Mac OS X encoding
>> is MacCyrillic. Even CP866 sometimes still in use.
>>

> Thanks for the info.  Now you left me wondering what MacCyrillic is.
> Is it similar to anything else or did Apple, as usual, feel the need
> to invent something incompatible?

MacCyrillic is like CP1251 for lowercase letters but for uppercase I
could not find
any similarities -- it uses 0x80 to 0x9f with except of capital letter
IO which is 0xDD.
Small letter IO also differs from CP1251 -- it is 0xDE.

There are also several variants of CP1251: CP1251-k (KazWin, encoding
used in
Kazakhstan), Chuvashski and Tatarski variants. The are subsets of
Russian CP1251
and change symbols starting from 0x80 to 0x9f (or 0xBF for CP1251-k).

With Best Regards,
  Valentin A. Alekseev
  v.alekseev at mail.ru