[vlc-devel] Re: vlc on amd64 -- problems with mencoder's h264 and flash movie files

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Mon Mar 13 23:38:39 CET 2006

Le lundi 13 mars 2006 à 00:39 -0800, David Liontooth a écrit :

> $ vlc flashtest.flv -v 2
> VLC media player 0.8.5-test1 Janus
> [00000001] main vlc warning: Unable to get HAL device properties
> [00000294] ps demuxer warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS
> stream, continuing anyway
> [00000294] ps demuxer warning: garbage at input, trying to resync...
> [00000350] ps demuxer warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS
> stream, continuing anyway

Can you run with the -vv option ?

> While this isn't terribly informative, it's consistent with your
> suggestion that the root of the problem is the version of ffmpeg used in
> the nightlies. If that's all there's to it, I'll drop the issue -- it's
> not really a problem in either VLC or ffmpeg, just a version issue.
>
> What do you make of VLC's failure to play h264 files encoded with
> mencoder on amd64? Not only do these play fine with VLC on i386, but
> h264 files encoded with ffmpeg play fine with VLC on amd64.

Well, again, VLC in sid uses a version of ffmpeg from the 18/19/2005.
The marillat repository (which you may use for mencoder) uses one from
the 05/03/2006. That may defenitely explain the reason why mplayer can
read the file and not VLC. Again, perhaps mencoder and ffmpeg are linked
against different versions of x264, or use different options, explaing
the difference of behaviour. I cannot really tell more here. Trying to
upgrade ffmpeg could be a thing to test (sam, can you hear us ?). The
nighlies use the version of ffmpef that ships wit the sid. You may want
to fill a bug on that package. But it would be better to make sure
ffmpeg is guilty before...

--
BigBen