[vlc-devel] IBM / Baylor Project Questions

Josh Marshall catchjosh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 09:02:29 CET 2006

To whomever can offer assistance;

I am working with Baylor University and individuals with IBM on a
streaming project. We have successfully streamed HD content from one
city to another, however, I need information for the post-experiment
write-up, as well as potential development updates / feasibility as
we'd like to pursue a VLC-based process solution paper for others
imitating / recreating what we have done.

Since I am personally not a coder, I cannot, unfortunately, delve
into the code myself, and instead of bringing in external coders to
hunt through the code and try to find what it is I'm asking, I
figured it would be easier to go straight to the source.

My first question is this: When VLC opens a stream (particularly, an
MPEG 2 transport stream), and I wish to stream based on RTP, I am
given the only option of RAW encapsulation in the GUI (and that is
the option I run with in the command line.) In the manual it states
that RAW provides no encapsulation, but when I open a stream at the
other end I am told it is an MPEG 1 based stream. I am not
transcoding and I have not set any other options, especially none
that are based in MPEG 1, so I am wondering if someone can give me
the exact processing and packet specifications on VLC's RTP
implementation (with regard to the RAW encapsulation), so we can be
sure of the process VLC is using when streaming.

My second question is this: Is there any plan (or perhaps current
method) to adjust the output SDP file created when streaming over
RTSP? There are some values I would like to adjust and add to the
file to increase compatibility with various media players / VJ
applications, and right now I'd have to set up a secondary streaming
server to adjust that file as far as I can tell.

My third question is this: Is there any plan currently to implement a
Firewire based capture method into VLC's structure for the Mac OS X
version? I have obtained a third-party module that was supposed to
add this functionality, however we could not manage to get it to
work. I would assume (probably erroneously) that a Firewire
implementation, in conjunction with the Firewire SDK that Apple
provides on their developer site, would be easier than some
implementations due to the amount of sample applications and
processes that are in the SDK. Specifically, I'm asking regarding
DVHS / HD Cable Box capture MPEG 2-based standards. If there is not a
current plan, is there any angelic soul who would be interested in
donating some time helping us to hack together a solution based on
VLC and the Firewire SDK? (I sincerely doubt that anyone has that
sort of time, but I figured it would not hurt to ask.) Again, I know
there is a module implementation (that doesn't seem to work) floating
around on the internet, so perhaps that might provide a kick-start.

I hope I have clearly communicated my questions, and I certainly hope
this has been posted in the proper mailing lists. If there are
already answers to these questions, you can just send me forwards or
URLs and I'll be on my way. Thank you very much for your time.

Josh Marshall
with Baylor University