[vlc-devel] files encoded to x264 with mencoder fail to stream with vlc

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Sun Mar 26 06:05:21 CEST 2006

A couple of weeks ago I reported to this list that files encoded to h264
by mencoder failed to display properly when played back on amd64 vlc on
Linux.
People pointed out VLC supports h264 through the x264 project, and I
rebuilt VLC and x264 from source. This in fact solved the problem; on
this version, files encoded to h264 using mencoder display correctly on
amd64 vlc.

However, when these same files (mencoder-encoded h264 files) are
streamed, they don't display properly on any platform. A streaming
sample is available if someone is open to looking at it. The picture is
incredibly blocky, freezes, and so on. I've tested reception on Linux
amd64, i386, and Winxp i386 and there's no difference.

In contrast, files encoded to h264 by ffmpeg stream perfectly.

Dave