[vlc-devel] Re: files encoded to x264 with mencoder fail to stream with vlc

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Mon Mar 27 01:45:13 CEST 2006

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> It sounds like you are loosing packets or something. Does VLC report
> anything of the kind?  There's a menu option somewhere to open a
> window where all messages show up.

This is streaming over a gigabit lan, so I doubt I'm dropping packets!
What I do see in VLC's streaming information window, however, is that
the resolution is way off -- in the mencoder-encoded files, it's given
as 16x320, where the fact is 640x480, or 16x16 for some odd ratio much
larger. Mind you, the picture size is the correct one, so this may not
signify anything.

> Try increasing the I-frame (keyint) frequency a bit.  You have it set
> at 250, which is a bit high for streaming.  Try with 25 instead.

This may actually have helped -- the picture looks somewhat better. But
it's far from the perfect picture I get with streaming files encoded
with ffmpeg.
> How are you streaming the files?

With  vlc $1 -I dummy --sout '#std{access=mmsh,dst=:5003}' --ttl 12 --loop;;

I tried adding in the width and height, but it made no difference.
ffmpeg shows the resolution correctly.

Am I the only one with this problem? How are people encoding their
streaming x264 files?

Dave