[vlc-devel] ViXS transcoder integration: suggestions?

Joe Martin jmartin at avionengineering.com
Thu May 4 07:08:22 CEST 2006

   I'm looking for some advice on a video project - I'm using a chipset
from ViXS to transcode video from MPEG2 into MPEG4 in realtime.

    I was originally planning on creating a new VLC encoder plugin and
routing video into it with the existing transcode module.  However,
transcode.c sets up a decode stage as the first part of its output
chain.  Since the chip can take an elementary MPEG2 stream as input, I'd
prefer the entire transcode cycle to happen on-chip.

    Would it be easier to just write my own stream_out module for
hardware transcoding?  Or should I pursue adding special cases to the
existing transcode module.  Any opinions are appreciated...

  Thanks,
  Joe Martin