[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Re: RTSP stream playback differences between 0.8.5 precompiled Windows and Linux sources?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 10 18:40:40 CEST 2006

At 06:27 AM 5/10/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks again Ross, but the delivery mechanism within VLC does seem
>to be relevant, to my test files at least.

The delivery mechanism appears to be 'relevant' to the bug only
because it (for some unknown reason) causes AMR audio data to be
delivered in a form that VLC cannot decode/play.

HOWEVER, the same bug can be demonstrated in a much easier way - by
attempting to play (either locally, or via HTTP) the file:
             http://www.live555.com/test.amr
Again, VLC (version 0.8.5) cannot play this file, either locally, or
using HTTP.  However, QuickTime Player and RealPlayer can play this file OK.

(Note that I obtained this file by recording an incoming RTSP/RTP
stream that VLC was unable to play - i.e., a stream that illustrated
the problem that you are seeing.)

THEREFORE, I claim that our first priority should be to figure out
why VLC cannot play the file
             http://www.live555.com/test.amr
If you fix that bug, then it is very likely that it will also fix the
RTSP/RTP AMR problem.

>I can see that there's been quite a bit of discussion already, e.g.
>at http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/2006-03/msg00132.html, but this
>problem appears to be as yet unresolved.

Yes, in that thread - from mid March - I tried (apparently
unsuccessfully) to make the same point that I'm making now: First
figure out why VLC cannot play the file "test.amr".

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>