[vlc-devel] Re: vlc sources scheme

Václav Koldus vaclav.koldus at avpark.cz
Tue May 16 20:28:10 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm afraid there's no such document. But if you take your time and read
a few source files, you
find yourself understanding the principles very soon. I had simmilar
problem when I started to
modify VLC and write own modules, but it didn't take a much time to get
into it.

Just a suggestion how to start: Take a source file of a module or part
of vlc which you are
interested in, walk through it and then see all data structures used in
it in their definition
files (/include/*.h). Plus, open a few modules and see their structures.
These are simmilar
and you will soon be in it. It's also a good idea to focus only on that
part you actualy need.
There's no point in understanding such a huge project in one step. Take
your time and progress...

Of course, this is only my humble opinion and the ideal progress is
individual indeed.

Vaclav.