[vlc-devel] Changing channels improvement

Pasea Laseat nebogp at yahoo.es
Fri May 19 11:10:17 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

I got an idea, so I would like to contribute a little bit. It is related to playing streamed channels from IPTV, let’s imagine you have several channels (different IPs or ports), using the same network protocol and codification, let’s say:

 240.255.85.1: 1234 (channel 1)
 240.255.85.2: 1234 (channel 2)
 240.255.85.3: 1234 (channel 3)

Then, you can change between those channels. The point is when you change those channels a lot of actions have to carry out: first of all, input is stopped and then decoder and other modules are removed. After that, demux, access and network modules have to be initialized, and then decoder is opened and starts buffering, audio modules are initialized and so on. Due to this, changing between channels takes some time and some effects (black and frozen screen) appear.

So, I would like to avoid this, I got some ideas. Taking into account VLC is multi-thread, I think it would be possible to remain in the previous channel till the next channel is ready and then, changing the video output.

 I could implement this stuff if you think that it’s possible and interesting. Also I would like to get some help for starting or some ideas to develop it, so any suggest will be welcome!

 Thanks a lot in advance.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com