[vlc-devel] Error building extras/contrib libgcrypt on Cygwin

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 1 03:21:43 CET 2006

Looks like someone has done what's needed so that XML builds OK now, but
libgcrypt still bugs out on Cygwin.
random.c:46:23: sys/times.h: No such file or directory
random.c: In function `getfnc_fast_random_poll':
random.c:925: warning: return from incompatible pointer type
make[4]: *** [random.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/src/libgcrypt/cip
her'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/src/libgcrypt'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/src/libgcrypt'
make[1]: *** [.gcrypt] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

The following is from an e-mail I sent on 13 Sept, still valid.  If using
MinGW we need to have #undef HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY, either put in config.h or
someplace like line 42 of random.c.  I don't know how to use the patch tool,
so can't submit an update, I can just say what needs to occur (a patch that,
if it's MinGW, does the #undef)
I ran into this on the Web:
"Solution: Make it explict with #UNDEF HAVE_TIMES in
$objdir\i686-pc-mingw32\libiberty\config.h, because it doesn't exist on
MinGW."
The above was for another app that was generating the same error as I ran
into with the VLC extras/contrib/libgcrypt make.
I ended up adding #undef HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY
To my libgcrypt config.h, and it now compiles (apparently something awry in
the Cygwin distribution)
Can something be added to the patches for extras/contrib, that will sense if
it's mingw, and if so do the undef in the config.h generated for libgcrypt,
else in random.c, at line 42 toss in a similar exlusion (so you don't invoke
sys/times.h)?

Thanks.

Mark