[vlc-devel] Re: Translations for VLC 0.8.6

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Thu Nov 2 08:48:44 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 01:08:06AM +0100, Christophe Mutricy wrote:
> There is some windows system where it works. Marian Hikanik, the
> slovaktranslator, got it working correctly. Unfortunatly is offline for
> a fortnight. As soon as i comes back, i'll contact him so we can compare
> the settings between your systems and hopefully spot the difference
> causing the bug.

Hi Xtophe,

  there might be many many reasons why this works on some Win system and
does not on another and I'm afraid trying to figure this out would just
consume time we can spend on a better solution.

  My experience with contrib-20051020 shows that by using unicode-enabled
wxwidgets this problem definitely disappears. Moreover, the translations
started working correctly even on e.g. English or Czech versions of windows
which are still widely used here in Slovakia and hence IMHO important.
And last but not least, users want to be able to handle files with characters
outside of their local codepage (which works fine with native windows apps)
and the only way to this is via unicode - see ticket #809

  So I'd definitely suggest to switch wxwidgets in contrib into unicode
and test extensively before the release.

	With kind regards,

		M.