[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Re: GUI development based on wxwidgets

Liu Andy liuzhihua_2003 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:33:36 CET 2006

Hi All,

Sorry to bother you guys again.

What I'm trying to do is as following:
1. When some inernal event happens, e.g. incoming control message says that
current network bandwidth available is very limited, then VLC media player
shall popup a window or message box alerting user about the situation. Note
that this popup shall NOT block anything else.
2. After user hits some buttong, e.g. "OK" or "Cancel", VLC media player
shall be able to do some further operation, e.g. stop playing video
automatically.
3. items above are based on WxWidgets.
4. VLC0.8.5 + FC4

Normally, GUI seems to be triggered by end user, e.g. clicking operations,
but it's not the case here, instead it's some internal event which triggers
window shown. Meanwhile, GUI shall still be able to capture user's clicking
on "OK" button of the window.

.../wxwidgets/interface.cpp, "void Interface::OnAbout( wxCommandEvent&
WXUNUSED(event) )"
This seems to be the event handler of "About" item in menu, which just uses
wxMessageBox() to show the box, is this a useful reference for me ??

I also checked development tool for WxWidgets under Fedora, but my
requirement seems too simple for those tools... I still have to integrate
code into VLC code base after GUI object is ready.

Please show me some hints and a quick solution if you are familiar with VLC
+ WxWidgets, thanks a lot.

vlc-devel at videolan.org,videolan-announce at videolan.org